HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Can't even use a hammer!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Can't even use a hammer!   Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:11 am

Aldis, for all the things she could do, could not use a hammer. Sure, there were gigantic hammers used in battle - but they were huge, and hard to miss with. She could use them reasonably well. But smaller hammers, this posed a problem. This was likely not her fault, as never being taught how to use one properly resulted in... a lot of sore thumbs.

"Oh, for the love of Thor!" She cried, yanking her beaten thumb away once again as she hit it with the hammer. She had a nagging suspicion that the only reason her father had made her do this - this being fixing the fence around the sheep's field - was for a punishment.
After disappearing for a couple of hours, without doing her chores or telling her father where she was going, Aldis had gotten into huge trouble.

"Where have you been?!" Her father had asked in a booming voice.
"Out for a walk, dad." She'd responded casually.
"In the forest?" He'd asked.
"Yes, dad." She'd said, acting as if it didn't matter.
"Where those dragons are." His eye was twitching slightly. Not a good sign...
"I guess so, dad. Not like I'd know though. I've never seen one, sooo..." She'd said this with quite some venom to it and some sarcasm. Bad move.

That comeback was probably what earned her the punishment, really. Either way, it wouldn't have helped the situation.
She'd been made to do her normal chores, and.. well, this. She wasn't usually made to do anything that involved fixing things with a hammer and nails, so she wasn't exactly experienced at this.

Lifting the hammer up to try and hit the nail again, she hesitated, and sighed. Closing her eyes would probably only make it worse, but she knew either way, she'd hit her thumb. Taking a deep breath, she brought the hammer down. This time, she actually hit the nail. "Finally!" she muttered, feeling a little more enthusiastic about the next nail she'd have to hammer in as she finished with the first nail.

Over-confidence was probably what did it this time, but either way it resulted in much the same reaction as Aldis had had the first time this incident had occurred.

"Oh, for the love of Thor!"

(( OOC: please, don't be surprised if I disappear for a while.. I'm afraid my internet is just barely working at the moment. Never-mind, I just switched to our back-up, dial-up internet |D ))
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fotnf.darkbb.com
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 pm

Eh, I'm not a fan of bumping topics or double posting, but just thought I'd mention.. that this topic is open, although i forgot to put it in the title ^^'
Back to top Go down
Furnardan

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

Sorry to be adding a discussion in your RP topic... it's Kinda funny though... we now have 3 separate topics concerning the same day/night following the forest encounter. I'll just drop my topic and move over to Rodny's, since he's apparently entered Dungy's tannery unannounced so to speak, something to interact with. This whole "sectional topics" RPing style never seemed efficient to me, so many people tend to use it though... I prefer a single topic in which(such as where I'm the admin in my RP) everyone's encounters occur in the same thread, no matter what they're doing. The only worry people have about that is having to wait for everyone in a specific situation to post before continuing, but having multiple topics for the RP tends to have people jumping hours or even days ahead of others, leaving them in the historic past with their unfinished topics. No that I can complain, so many people use this system, I guess it's just for more personal RPing? I'd say meh to that, I like hosting the epic storyline and playing "dungeon master" with everyone in a single topic... bu that's just me. And yes, I'm done ranting now! 8D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:28 pm

This is always what I thought.. but for a Rp based forum, this is the best system to use, because, when there are more members 20+ members on one topic.. just doesn't work out.

'course we don't have that many members/may not even get that many more, we do have the option of moving everything to one topic - I mean, it is kinda inconvenient if my character wants to talk to yours but yours is in another topic..

Then again, with the time factor, I find that its actually worse in single topics, unless on person controls it. I've had two people in one area jump hours ahead leaving someone else in another area to try and catch up.

I guess its up to everyone, and I might move Aldis/kill this topic if I see any opportunity for her to intervene/come into a situation.

Anyways, thats why I used the whole multi-topic system.
Back to top Go down
Rodny Al'Dar

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:50 pm

You two should come visit Rodny on the other side of the island to ask him something. Ask Furnardan's character Dungy. He met me last night XD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 pm

OOC: Nuu don't delete this!!

When Rodny had left, taking Feldun's hatchet with him, he had stayed with Aldis and Thorgrim for a bit until Aldis had had to leave. Realizing that he should probably go back to the village too, he had said a quick good-bye to Thorgrim and retraced his path back to the village. His right hand was still throbbing, and pain would shoot through it occationally, but it was feeling a bit better. He did not bother returning to the docks, though, for he knew that Eiric was very forgiving, for a Vikin, and wouldn't mind if Feldun had turned a break into a day off.

As he walked through the village, his mind had escaped him. All he could think of were dragons. This is pointless, he told himself. Dragons are just stupid animals, no different than a dog or a bear. Why am I so entranced by them?

When he finally returned to attention, he found himself near Aldis' house. Crap. While I was off in Dreamland I went the wrong way, he thought in an irritated manor. He had gone way out of his way. Feldun then noticed Aldis working on the fencing around the grazing field. He had never seen her out fizing the fence before, and apparently she was having some trouble.

"Oh, for the love of Thor!" she cried out as twice the hammer collided with her thumb. Feldun was somewhat amused, but also sorry for her. Unable to just let her struggle, he strode over to her.

"Looks like you need some help there," he said, appearing beside her. "Hm, a ship wright could really help you here, huh?" Feldun added, a bit sarcastically, seeing as he was a ship wright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Aldis looked over, surprised to see Feldun. She ducked her head quickly, embarrassed that he'd seen her failing so miserably at something so simple. "Huh.. Yeah, I guess..." She began, grinning sheepishly. "I'm... not doing so well at this..."
She quickly bit back the many excuses that sprung to her mind for not being able to succeed at this, and instead focused on the thing that had caused this punishment to distract herself.

Aldis really did hope for Feldun's help, mainly because she wanted to know how to do this properly next time she had to. She hoped that he really was offering his help to her. She didn't want to be this unsuccessful again. Not at something this simple.

Failure was something that Aldis found hard to face - over huge things, like battling dragons, she could understand. Accept, even. But she would not let a simple nail and hammer beat her.

But, I would have figured it out eventually She stubbornly told herself, knowing it was probably not true.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:29 pm

"Here, let me show you."
He took the hammer from her, set the nail so that it stood where he wanted it, closed one eye as he calculated his strike, then brought the hammer down, not too hard, yet hard enough for the nail to slide into the wood. "There you are," he said, handing the hammer back to her. Feldun then took out his own hammer from the loop in his belt. "I can help some more, if you'd like. Unless you feel you can do it yourself. Just don't hurt yourself, like I just." He held up his bandaged hand and grinned.

"Hurts like a devil, it does."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Aldis watched as Feldun easily used the hammer and nail. She tried not to pout at how easily he managed this, and instead kept a straight face. She hated her bad co-ordination, which was probably the reason she couldn't do this, at all.

"I can help some more, if you'd like. Unless you feel you can do it yourself..." Feldun offered. Aldis was about to decline, when she remembered her throbbing thumb.

"I, um, guess I could use a little help..." She admitted. "If you're not busy or anything, that is..."

"Just don't hurt yourself, like I did." Feldun finished, grinning as he held up his injured hand. "Hurts like a devil, it does."

She grimaced as she saw his bandaged hand "How'd you do that..?" she asked.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:08 am

"Heh, I had my head in the clouds and I didn't realize I aimed my hammer at an angle. Before I could react, I'd driven that cursed nail right in between my fingers. That's the first rule of work with tools: Pay attention," he replied when Aldis asked about his hand. Feldun tossed the hammer up slightly, then caught it again in his palm, repeating the motion a few times. "I'm not busy. I'd be happy to help you. By they way, why are you out here anyway? I've never seen you fixing this fence before."

He glanced at the fence, then back at Aldis as he waited for a reply.

OOC: Sorry this one is short. I couldn't think of anything else to put XP Also, sorry for the occasional typos here and there. My mind tends to go faster than my fingers o_o I despise typos...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:20 am

Aldis coughed and muttered something, before responding "Uhmm... I guess this is kind of a punishment... you see, I wasn't exactly meant to be out in the woods when we saw that whole... dragon thing. Er, also, if you see my dad, could you keep it to yourself that we saw a dragon possibly?" She asked the last question with a bit of a laugh.

With this, she turned back to the task at hand, lifting the hammer up and managing to use it correctly, although she silently wondered how long this would last.

She hoped that the fence didn't get broken again. And if it did, that she didn't have to fix it.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:19 am

"Sure... I'll keep that whole thing a secret. It won't be that hard, seeing as I rarely speak of my forest walks to anyone."

Feldun helped Aldis repair the fence for a few minutes in silence. Then he sighed and looked back to the girl. "Why exactly do you get scolded for being in the forest? I know he isn't my father, but Eiric doesn't mind at all if I go to the forest. He probably would rather have me there when I need time to myself than around him in one of my 'moods'. Did something happen?" Feldun was curious. He knew, of course, that younger Vikings were prohibited from the forest, but much of the village allowed teens of there age to wander. Some thought that it was even better if they met a dragon; they believed it would make their son or daughter more heroic. And so, this left him wondering why Aldis could not wander into the woods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Wed May 05, 2010 2:42 pm

(eep, sorry it took em so long to reply, i didn't see that you'd replied !)

A small cough escaped Aldis, and she mumbled something inaudible, before speaking up a little so that Feldun could hear her.
"Well, my dad is what you'd call... a teensy bit over-protective. He won't let me out in the woods because of some of the dragon attacks on the village recently, and because hes heard that there are a lot of dragons in the woods." Aldis paused, letting this sink in.

"I guess he's been like that since my mother disappeared." A brief silence followed as Aldis paused to think.
"You're lucky to have someone who isn't so overprotective. The both of us are fine, but we get on each others nerves when it comes to things that have even the slightest chance of me being injured.. well, that is" Here Aldis paused to glance down at her thumb "majorly injured."

A thought struck her and she wondered what Feldun meant when he mentioned his 'moods', but decided it was probably better not to ask.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Thu May 06, 2010 3:06 am

Feldun glanced at her. "I may be lucky to have someone who isn't overprotective, but you're lucky, too. At least you have family left..." He trailed off as childhood memories of his parents entered his mind. He rubbed his temple in annoyance. Feldun had done his best to bury those memories so deep in his mind that they never returned to him again, though he often failed at this. He hated remembering his parents. Though they were few, the memories pained him in a way he hardly experienced, a deep emotional pain, a longing for the love and support a family provides. Eiric supported him, sure, but it wasn't the same. There was an empty spot within him, a spot that family was meant to fill.

It was these memories that often caused his "moods". Whether it be anger, sorrow, lonelyness, or pain, they put him in a foul mood, indeed. Often, all he needed to cleanse himself of these feelings was time to himself, but sometimes they persisted, making him very unsocialable. Practically the only time he was happy was when these memories were buried securely in the archives of his conciousness.

Usually, he did little to battle these moods once they emerged, but today, he did. Instead of letting the memories put him in a state, Feldun pushed them back, flooding them with other, happier memories. He had no intention of ruining his chat with Aldis. Very little did he talk to other teens in the village, and he found that he enjoyed it. And so, he combated the memories and forced a smile onto his face as he returned his gaze to Aldis.

[b]"Your father means well, I know he does... I'm sorry about your mother. I know what it's like, to lose your family..."

He turned to the fence and hammered another nail in, waiting for Aldis' response.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Sun May 09, 2010 6:22 am

Aldis bit her tongue, wishing she had watched what she said a little more closely. She remembered hearing about it when Feldun's parents had died, although being smaller she hadn't thought of what this would mean for him.

She couldn't help but wonder what it would be like, growing up without parents.
"It must have been hard growing up without parents..." Aldis looked up, and saw that Feldun was rubbing his temple, as if struggling with a thought. She decided it was probably a good idea to change the subject, although she wasn't sure what to.
She was about to say something, when suddenly a sheep came bolting towards the fence, bleating noisily.

"Woah, woah!" Aldis cried, dropping the hammer in her hand to try and scare the sheep away from the almost-fixed damaged area of fence, just in case it broke it again.

The sheep fled, still bleating, back to the flock, who seemed to be pressing tightly into a bunch in the corner.
"What the..? They're freaking out..." Aldis looked around, and, seeing nothing, snorted. "Stupid creatures." She commented, dismissing their actions. Or, at least, trying to. A tiny bit of unease remained at the back of her mind, nagging her.

"I'd say thats how the fence got broken the first time... huh." Aldis bit her lip, her eyes wandering to the direction the sheep had ran from. She longed to go see what they were running from, if only just to make sure it really was nothing.
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Wed May 12, 2010 2:44 am

"Yeah, it was. It-" Feldun was interrupted when the frantic sheep ran at the fence. Aldis scared the sheep away before he could; he was thankful for her fast reflexes, because with his mind wandering as it was at the moment, he wouldn't have reacted fast enough. He lowered the hammer and observed as the sheep huddled in a corner of the field, bleating so loud that it made it hard to focus. "Why are they..." he began, then trailed off as a small thought trickled into his mind. He vaguely remembered seeing sheep act like this before. Digging deeper into the memory, he tried to remember why it had happened. Then it came to him.

What had caused the sheep to be frightened was a dragon. It had swooped low and Feldun, younger then, had watched helplessly from afar as the dragon made off with a few from the flock. He had been amazed by the sight, of the dragon's lithe form and shimmering scales. Now, when he thought back to it, he wasn't as amazed, yet part of him was still filled with awe when he remembered the beast.

Now, he wondered if it was the presence of a dragon that had frightened the sheep. Hopefully there isn't more than one, he thought. Feldun refrained from voicing his fears, but he dug his heels into the ground and braced himself, incase a dragon did reveal itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aldis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Fri May 14, 2010 10:54 am

The fence was practically finished; luckily it hadn't been too badly damaged.
A few more nails here and there would help keep its sturdy, but Aldis was more interested, if not a little worried, about what was on the other side of the fence, the side next to the woods, where the sheep were running from.

Wiping her hands on her pants, she began to head off to in that direction. "I'm going to check this out." she said, half to herself. Just before she walked off, she turned around "you coming?" She asked Feldun, gesturing for him to follow. She did this not because of the worry tugging at her, but simply because she enjoyed company.
She made her way around the fence, trying to block out the sound of bleating sheep and the slight fear rising up in her.

Biting her lip, she stopped at the edge of the forest. "Well, lets see what all the fuss is about.."

With that, she stepped into the forest to find...

Nothing?

Yes, nothing.
"Huh. Like I said, stupid creatures, they are."

As she was turning around to walk out of the forest, (which she had not gone very far into) she heard a strange noise.
She paused to listen. It sounded like someone, or something , breathing raggedly. Slowly, but surely, she walked towards the sound.

What she found was very unexpected.
"Woah!" She cried, and jumped back as a fireball flew past her. In front of her was a terrible terror. Sure, it was small, but it was also dangerous. But, strangely enough, it was lying down. And it wasn't running away from her. Its head flopped back down to the ground as it shot the fireball, as if the effort were too much for it.

Slowly, to make sure it was asleep (or unconscious, which it now seemed to be), she bent down. And, sowly, she reached out and touched its side. She puled her hand back quickly. It was burning up. Surprise froze her brain as she realized what was going on.

"I.. I think... its sick.."
Back to top Go down
Dragonheart001

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   Fri May 21, 2010 2:44 am

Feldun watched as Aldis walked off in the direction of the woods. "Hey! Wait up!" he cried, raising his hand and then sprinting after her. He watched her enter the woods, and for a moment, nothing happened. Then, a fireball came forth from the copse. He heard Aldis scream and he ran the last few paces into the forest beside her. To his relief, she had avoided damage.

"What was that?" he asked. Feldun followed her gaze and gasped when he saw a small Terrible Terror. It was not fleeing, nor was it attacking. Its head had fallen back to the ground and it was now unconscious. The little dragon looked pitiful as it lay before them. As Aldis reached out to touch it, words of warning leaped to the tip of Feldun's tongue, but he refrained from speaking them. After jerking back, she said, "I think it's sick...?

"What makes you think that?" he asked. Experimentally, he also reached out to tentatively stroke the creature's side. It was unbelievably warm to the touch, warmer than he figured a dragon should be. The Terror's little sides shuddered as it took shallow breaths. "Oh...," he muttered, realizing that it was sick.

"What are we going to do with it?" he asked next. As he gazed at the small dragon, part of him pitied it and wanted to help it. The other part or him, however, payed heed to the Viking's tales of how dragons were heartless and coniving, even the small ones. Part of him was revolted by the creature.

Surely it'd be inhumane to just leave it, he thought. Even if it is a dragon. And so, despite some of his instincts, he decided that even if Aldis chose to leave the Terrible Terror be, he would help it.

I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can't even use a hammer!   

Back to top Go down

Can't even use a hammer!
Page 1 of 1